Post 9


Life and landscape
Norfolk & Harris


October 2013



Stob Ghabhar, Cloch Louthad, near Rannoch Moor



This post begins with a night photograph of distant peaks between Crianlarich and Glen Coe. I had been looking forward to some less favourable autumn weather and I wasn't disappointed during my recent visit to the Western Isles. Rapid changes of light and atmosphere kept me on my toes - I love how the clouds and mist simultaneously reveal and conceal.

I explored further afield into Harris and then Lewis, including a first trip to Stornoway. I particularly enjoyed the road from Tarbert to Stornoway, and back - the Lewis landscape sometimes looked like the surface of Mars, sometimes like the wild west, with fantastic glowing ochre colours in late afternoon. I hope to visit the Hebrides again in early new year.

The majority of the pictures here are made in Scotland, although I've included one or two from Norfolk which typify the landscape around where I live. One of these shows the recent intrusion of a solar farm, creating as much visual disturbance horizontally as wind turbines manage to do vertically. 

Click on any picture to see larger versions



Catherine Cunningham, Scalpay



Catherine's sister, Rachel Macsween, Scalpay



Outend, Scalpaigh



Taped and painted windows, South Lochs, Lewis



Loch Sligachan, Isle of Skye



Portree, Isle of Skye



Airidh a Bhruaich, Lewis



Stefan Davies, photographer, Caolas Scalpaigh



Loch Direcleit, Harris



Ewen Macleod, John Angus Macleod, Murdo Macsween, Roddy Mackenzie, Rev Andrew Coghill, Norman Morrison, Donald John Macsween, Angus Macleod - 
Deacon's Court, Scalpay Free Church



Meal Na Suiramach, Isle of Skye



Loch Seaforth, Harris / Lewis



John Randall with the Angus Macleod archive, Ravenspoint Centre, Kershader, 
South Lochs, Lewis



Free Church of Scotland, Park-Gravir, Lewis



Huishinish road, Harris



Baker's Farm, Lyng, Norfolk



Alison Young with Ethan (4 months), and Donna Martin. Harbour Bistro, Scalpay



Isle of Lewis



Glen Shiel, Western Highlands



Solar farm, near Weston Longville, Norfolk



Abdul Ghaffar, Akram General Store, Tarbert, Harris



Free Church (continuing), Scalpay



Scalpay Linen, Outend



Huishinish road, Harris



Stornoway harbour, Lewis



Kinloch Church, Lewis



Flodigarry, Isle of Skye



Outend, Scalpaigh



Loch Leosaid, Harris



Scaladal, north Harris





1 comment:

  1. Your Pictures are lovely Richard. I love Scalpay, one of my favourite anchorages! Pam Simmister

    ReplyDelete