Post 11



Bad weather

Inner and Outer Hebrides, February 2014

(Click on any picture to view larger versions)

I prefer to photograph outdoors in bad weather - the light is always changing and although water does not agree with electronics I'm surprised at how robust my camera remains in the driving rain.


Isle of Skye


Not for the first time I experienced car problems on my journey to the Hebrides. In Glen Shiel I turned into a lay-by and heard a familiar sound as my oil sump hit the rough ground. I called the AA from the Claunie Inn and within an hour a breakdown truck arrived from Kyle of Lochalsh. So once again a large oil stain marks my progress around the Highlands, for which I must apologise. People roll their eyes and say 'those Scottish roads...'.  But what a place to break down!



Glen Shiel


So my onward journey was in a courtesy car lent by the garage - Morar Motors, I'm very grateful. I missed the ferry from Uig and as a result had an extra day on Skye - not a great hardship.



My favourite chair, Portree




Carbost, with the Cuillins




Portnalong




Portnalong




Talisker




Talisker




The Black Cuillins


Eventually I arrived in Tarbert, having crossed the Minch in the enjoyable company of my neighbours from Norfolk (another story). Here is a selection of the pictures I took in Harris and Lewis over the next five days...



Ravenspoint Centre, Kershader



Acha Mor, Lewis




David Greenall and Ruth Odell, artists, South Dell, Lewis



Calanais, Lewis



Calanais standing stones, Lewis




Calanais standing stones, Lewis




Manish Township, South Harris




Lazy beds, South Harris




The road to Calanais, Lewis




John Morrison, Brownies, Tarbert




Marine Harvest, Loch An Tairbeairt




The Butt of Lewis




Morag Macleod, Scalpaigh



South Lochs, Lewis



Mullach Bhiogadail, Lewis



Tunga, Lewis



Beka Globe, photographer, Mission House Studio, Finsbay, Harris




Community Bus, Tarbert - Scalpaigh



Bedroom, Scalpaigh



Lynn Macdonald, Harris Tweed store, Tarbert



CalMac, South Harris



Duncan, courier and Community Bus driver, Tarbert



Spindrift, Loch Ainort, Skye




Mary Ann Mcleod, hairdresser, Tarbert



Loch Loyne, Highland



A good example of the Continental 1100, Glen Garry



No comments:

Post a Comment